Williamson College of the Trades and Elwyn Plant Rt. 352 with Poppies

Students of the Williamson College of the Trades Horticulture Program prepare the campus fields along Route 352 for a summer poppy garden in recognition of the centennial of America's involvement in World War One.
Elwyn and Williamson have joined forces to create a dazzling summer poppy garden this summer on their opposing properties on Route 352 (Middletown Road). Instructor Chuck Feld and a crew of students of Williamson’s Horticulture, Landscaping & Turf Management program hauled out the heavy equipment to strip down a large bed extending along the length of the campus.

Williamson was founded in 1888 by a successful Philadelphia merchant and philanthropist, Isaiah V. Williamson, and its mission has always been to prepare qualified young men to be respected leaders and productive members of society.

Master Gardener Linda Barry works with students of Williamson College of Trades Horticultural Program to plant seeds outside the Rose Tree Tavern, the location of the Destination Delco Tourism Bureau.

The horticulture program has its own complex on campus named after Mrs. Dorrance Hill Hamilton, who contributed greatly to the school. Graduates of the program are well prepared to enter the Horticulture Industry at entry-level supervisory/foreman management positions and to work for a variety of employers, including tree care companies, landscape design/build firms, grounds departments, private estates, golf courses, public gardens, and arboreta. and are prepared to advance
quickly into management and supervisory positions.

For more information, click here.

Master Gardeners of the Penn State Extension Program, Chuck Feld and students of Williamson College of the Trades work closelyvwith members of Delaware County Council to make Delco the Poppy Capital of Pennsylvania for 2017.